Hingham Pubs

Hingham is lucky still to have the White Hart Hotel, but there have been sixteen pubs or beer-houses over the years. Here we have details and photographs of them.  Additional or alternate age images may be available in our picture Galleries.

The Jolly Farmers

Location: Hall Moor

Date: Free house operating from 1836 to about 1912

P13 The George

The George

Location: Hall Moor

Date: Open from about 1850 and closed 2nd February 1970

P2 The Royal Oak

Royal Oak

Location: The Plain

Date: 1836 – 1986

P7 The 8 Ringers

Eight Ringers

Location: Norwich Rd

Date: Predates 1791. Closed c1994 Reopened as Bay Tree 1996 Closed 1987

P1 The Swann

The White Swan

Location: Hardingham Rd

Date: Predates 1793. Closed. There is another Swan listed in the 1595 Survey of Hingham on the Fair Wonge (The Fairlands)

P9 The Cock

The Cock

Location: Hardingham St.

Date: Predates 1794. Closed 1963.

The Bell

Location: Corner of Baxter Rd and Dereham Rd

Date: Said to date from 1775. Closed pre 1910.

P15 Red Lion

The Red Lion

Location: Fairlands

Date: 1841 – 1909

P11 The Unicorn

The Unicorn Inn

Location: Fairlands

Date: Predates 1791. Closed 12th October 1970.

Lord Nelson

Location: Corner of Fairlands and Church St (Beer Retailer)

Date: 1841 – 1896.

P3 The Angel

The Angel Inn

Location: Corner of Church St and Bond St.

Date: On 1595 Survey. First Sale Reference 1682. Closed 15th January 1969.

P4 The Dog

Dog Inn

Location: Market Place

Date: Predates 1791. Closed 1945.

Horseshoes

Location: Market Place

Date: 1854 – 1907.

Crown

Location: Corner of Market Place and Copper Lane

Date: On 1595 Survey. Mentioned again in 1770.

Maid’s Head / Plow

Location: Market Place

Date: Known as The Plow in 1630 when it was sold. Known as The Maid’s Head in 1732.

P16 The White Hart

White Hart Inn

Location: Market Place

Date: First mentioned as “Le Hert” in 1473. Still open and owned by Flying Kiwi Inns.